Earning trust through open dialogue and sound judgement
It is a major responsibility to be entrusted with a client's hard-earned money, and I take that responsibility seriously. My team and I work hard to make your money work for you.
Three important facts set me apart
#1: Unlike many advisors, I personally select 70% of the securities I recommend, rather than relying solely on third-party money managers. This keeps my finger on the market’s pulse. Trading has always come naturally to me, and I devote time, effort and vigilance to make the most prudent moves possible. Today I am proud to manage almost half a billion dollars in assets. In an open architecture format, I build portfolios diversified across asset classes using my own strategies as well as those of world-class fund managers, which helps to mitigate risk while potentially lowering fees.
#2: I am one of the largest options traders at TD Wealth Private Investment Advice. Covered call writing can bring my clients valuable benefits, including:
- Option premiums, which are taxed efficiently as capital gains and can achieve growth even in sideways markets to help enhance returns above average investors’.
- Risk management by hedging the downside, which lowers a stock’s cost base.
Covered call writing does have risks such as capping potential upside and less flexibility to exit a position.
#3: I listen actively and attentively. Through broad-based conversations, I will get to know how you’ve made your money, what your life journey has been, and how you prefer to invest. It’s your money and you should have some input on how it’s managed.
A commitment to my clients
Armed with insight into the economic climate and a deep understanding of your personal and financial situation, I will:
- Strive to act wisely on your behalf.
- Tailor your investments to your needs.
- Collaborate with TD specialists to assist me when I do not have the answer you need.
- Treat your hard-earned money with the utmost respect regardless of the amount invested or the complexity of your needs.
- Frequently get in touch with you when a significant market change is expected that could impact your portfolio
- Involve you in the investment process.
- Strive to ensure that your rate of return is tax-efficient (a 10% rate of return derived from investment income is taxed the highest, whereas capital gains are taxed at the lowest rate).
Advising a sophisticated clientele
Business owners are my main focus – I advise many physicians, lawyers and general entrepreneurs – but I also have clients from all walks of life. I provide them with Individual Pension Plans (IPPs), which are designed to defer more tax than retirement savings plans (RSPs), and engage TD Specialists who assist my clients in creating tailored succession, retirement, estate and investment plans designed to generate tax-efficient returns. I also advise family trusts and charitable foundations.
My team and I take the time to fully understand our clients' goals, needs, financial path, preferences and parameters. Then, we take a comprehensive approach involving a skilled team of tax accountants, estate and high-net-worth specialists, business succession planners and an extensive network of TD specialists. We believe it is important to tailor solutions to each individual and integrate them together into one seamless plan.
Discretionary wealth management
This is a huge advantage for business owners pressed for time or anyone who does not enjoy dealing with daily investment decisions. When you entrust your wealth management to me, sudden opportunities or risks can be addressed swiftly without waiting for your approval. A customized Investment Policy Statement (IPS) based on your objectives, comfort and financial situation sets the guidelines, asset allocation and diversification of your portfolio. You pay one transparent, asset-based fee (no commission per trade), which lets us focus on driving your portfolio’s success without worrying about the cost of trades. This fee includes wealth planning, strategies involving the following services offered by TD specialists: estate planning, insurance services and more, and is tax-deductible upfront on non-registered accounts.
In the media